Applying a screen protector on your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y’s touchscreen ensures a long life of your center control screen, the heart of much of the Tesla experience. Much like your smartphone screen, the Tesla touchscreen is made with an anti-scratch glass from the factory, but hard objects can leave microabrasions and slowly deteriorate the outer glass.
Replacing the center display in a Tesla is a costly process and parts are hard to come by. Having a screen protector on your center screen is a wise investment that will help you keep the center screen as spotless as possible, without scratches and free of fingerprints.
Let’s take a look at some of the best Model 3 & Model Y center display protectors:
Screen Protectors for the Model 3 & Y – Top Picks
Model 3 / Y Center Screen Protector (Glossy)
Model 3 and Model Y Tempered Glass Screen Protector (Matte Finish)
Tesla Model 3 / Y Screen Protector 9H Anti-Scratch Resistant
What to look for when buying a screen protector?
Before diving into details of each screen protector, let’s take a look at some of the assets you need to watch out for in a good screen protector for your screen:
- The compatibility of the screen protector with your screen, so the touch response doesn’t get affected by it
- 9H hardness to protect it against scratches of sharp objects.
- Oleophobic coating to prevent smudges and fingerprints
- Tempered glass, so it doesn’t break too easily
Related: Best Accessories for the Tesla Model 3
Model 3 & Model Y Center Touch Screen Protectors:
Model 3 / Y Center Screen Protector (Glossy Finish)
- It is easy to install with no detectable bubbles and has perfect positioning.
- The adhesive is good quality and attaches itself pretty well.
- When it comes to installation, the instructions are not clear. So it could be a slight problem for some first-timers.
- There is no tape provided for removing the dust on the adhesive side of the screen protector.
This tempered screen protector with 9H hardness has been exclusively designed for Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y. This shock-resistant and anti-scratch glass protector comes in a glossy finish and makes the touch screen navigation extremely easy to use.
The laser-cut design fits perfectly well with the centrally mounted screen and keeps it protected against any kind of scratches, shocks, or dust.
The SUMK Center Screen Protector is well-suited for both Tesla Model 3 and Model Y.
This screen protector is an excellent protector of the screen. The glossy glass finish feels far improved than the original factory screen and keeps the screen always brand new. It also enhances the colors on the screen and displays high definition picture quality.
Moreover, it also provides a smooth touch panel, which makes navigation easier throughout the screen. The gloss finish avoids the fingerprints on it as well, which further adds to its user-friendly aspects.
Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Tempered Glass Screen Protector (Matte Finish)
- Nicely packaged and presentable contents.
- High-quality premium tempered glass protector in comparison to cheap ones from competitors.
- Protects the screen from scratches, smudges, and accidental dents.
- Fingerprints and smudges wipe off easily.
- Provides guide stickers to stabilize and help align the protector to the screen when peeling off the back protector.
- Slightly reduces the quality and sharpness of the screen due to its matte finish.
The Elon Accessories Screen Protector has a good thickness to it, which shows its great quality. It most likely improves the texture of the screen and has an elegant design. It is a perfect fit for the screen and is easy to install.
This screen protector feels very thin and doesn’t lower the speed of the touch response. The matte screen absorbs the sun’s glare instead of reflecting it, making the screen clearly visible even under sunlight.
The reason why you need this matte finish screen protector, despite all the cleaning and maintenance required, is the fact that it helps you drive better by cutting down on the reflections from sunlight. Unlike a glossy finish protector, this one dispenses the sunlight instead of reflecting it in your eyes, which can be disturbing while driving.
TOPlight Tesla Model 3 / Y Screen Protector 9H Anti-Scratch Resistant
- It is easy to install.
- This product comes with cleaner and microfiber cloth.
- It has good clarity and retains touch sensitivity.
- It comes in a nice rigid box to prevent damage.
- The instructions provided on the back of the product packaging are lacking.
- The product does not come with adhesive tabs to use as a hinge to keep it lined up when you’re installing.
This TOPlight screen protector for your Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y has been manufactured with tempered glass 9-H, which gives it a shock-resistant, hit resistant, and an anti-scratch surface. This screen protector not only protects the screen but also provides a soft touch for easy navigation. Since the original screen is that of plastic and is prone to scratches and shocks, this screen protector made of glass will provide the required protection and will enhance the touch and feel of it.
The TOPlight Screen Protector is a product of excellent quality and is a perfect fit for both Model 3 and Model Y. It is thick enough to provide sufficient protection against scratches.
This screen protector has a glossy finish and does not stop glare but instantly reduces fingerprints after installation, and it is very easy to clean.
It doesn’t interfere with the sensitivity of the original interface. The touch and display performance of the screen seems to be the same as before installation.
This screen protector is a great installation to keep the screen looking good and is invisible to the eye.
Tesla Model 3 & Y Matte Screen Protector for Center Touchscreen
- It is easy to install and clean.
- It blends in well with the screen, and can hardly make out that the screen has an extra layer.
- There is no degradation in the sensitivity of the screen.
- It ships well packaged.
- The installation pack does not have guiding tape strips to help put the screen protector accurately.
- The matte finish makes the screen image a little softer.
The INNOSURE Screen Protector fits perfectly on the Tesla Model Y and Model 3 screen and is of exceptional quality. It looks great, and the screen goes from HD quality to SD quality with a massive glare reduction.
The description mentions a 20% reduction in brightness when using this screen protector, but it doesn’t create much degradation of the brightness after installation.
The glass of this screen protector is a matte finish and anti-glare. So it is very smooth and reduces the glare by at least 90%. Its anti-reflection feature protects your eyes from sunlight when you look at the screen while driving.
This screen protector allows the finger to glide across it smoothly and does a decent job against fingerprints. It is also scratch-resistant and thick enough to protect your screen during collisions.
See also: Model 3 & Y Pedal Covers
Advantages of having a screen protector
Screen protectors are important to protect the screens installed in your Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y. Since these screens are bound to get scratches or shocks during use, these protectors will provide protection against these shocks and will make the original screen last longer. It also protects the screen from discoloration and makes it easy to clean it without worrying about scratches.
Since the original screen is quite costly to be changed, these screen protectors are recommended so you can replace them cost-effectively without having to replace the original screen itself.
Screen Protector Installation
Installing the screen protector is a straightforward process. There are some guidelines you will need to follow in order to install it correctly on the first try. Here is a step-by-step guide for the installation process:
- Make sure your screen is completely clean, wipe it with a clean cloth and alcohol wet wipes.
- Without removing the back layer of the screen protector, make sure it’s in the correct size.
- Apply the guide stickers on top and make sure the protector stays aligned with the screen.
- Remove the back layer of the screen protector.
- Make it descend on the screen steadily.
- Finally, remove any bubbles using a credit card or other similar tools.
Matte vs. Glossy finish
Matte screen protectors minimize the glare from sunlight and make looking at the screen easier during sunny days. Glossy finish provides a crisper image and requires less cleaning. It all comes down to the preference of the buyer. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of the Matte and Glossy finish:
Advantages of Matte screen protectors:
- The matte finish glass is anti-glare, which allows you to see your screen clearly even under bright light.
- The matte finish protects the screen from fingerprints and smudges.
- Smoother touch feel.
Advantages of Glossy screen protectors:
- The glossy finish produces more picture clarity.
- Easier to clean due to lower dirt penetration and higher visibility of grease and dirt.
- Displays better and accurate colors on the screen.
- Glossy finish displays create more saturated colors, brighter whites, and deeper blacks and are sharper than matte finish screens.
Model 3 & Model Y Center Control Screen Replacement cost
The replacement cost of the central touch screen in your Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model Y is around $1300. Besides the relatively high cost, parts can be hard to come by.
This makes the screen protector not only an excellent accessory but also a good investment in the long term.
What is included in the package?
Different manufacturers add different complimentary items in the packaging, but the common ones are installation guides, installation kits like gloves, along with other items like removal stickers, microfiber cleaning cloth, etc.
For details of what each packing would include, please refer to the detailed review of that particular product.
Does the Tesla Model 3 use the same touchscreen as the new Model Y?
Yes. Both the Model 3 and Model Y use the same 15-inch display.
Every Tesla Model 3 and Model Y owner should consider buying a screen protector to protect their car’s value and prevent damage to the screen. A screen protector can prevent unseen accidents from damaging the screen while also offering owners extra benefits, like anti-glare and anti-reflective coverage.
We have picked the best screen protectors available in the market for your screen and based the review on the feedbacks of people who are using the products and are a hundred percent genuine. Our favorite pick would be the SUMK Center Screen Protector for its high quality and anti-scratch qualities.